AHPSA is made up of a wide range of people interested in health promotion in schools. Many are teachers, some work in dedicated HP roles in schools or community settings, whilst others work in policy and research in the health education sectors. What we share is a commitment to the Health Promoting Schools ethos.
The Vision of the Association
A Health Promoting School strives to nurture the social, emotional, physical, and spiritual well being, and cognitive development of its students, staff and community.
A Health Promoting School recognises that:
- good health supports lifelong learning.
- positive educational experiences and outcomes contribute to good health and well being.
- students grow and learn best in a safe, caring, responsive and empowering environment.
- social justice and equity are fundamental to learning and well being.
This is achieved through:
- coordinated and comprehensive approaches that link teaching and learning with action on the school’s ethos/environment and engagement with the community.
- policies, planning and actions that are realistic and relevant to the school’s needs
- a commitment to effective partnerships for sustainable outcomes.
- valuing the participation, skills, values and experience of students, staff and families in decision making and action.
AHPSA is governed by a council made up of the executive and state representatives.